Jesmond Dene Real Tennis Club is one of only 27 Real Tennis courts in the UK and 46 in the world (Australia 5, France 3, USA 11). Built in 1894, the court is situated on Matthew Bank between Jesmond and South Gosforth and is only a few miles from the centre of Newcastle. The sport has grown over the last 15 years with 4 new courts built in England and an expanding membership. Jesmond has more members today that at any point in its history and new potential members are always welcome.
Our beautiful court is a rare historical and sporting asset to the north east region and we are pleased to show people round and give them a chance to try the “original” tennis.
Every year many local schools and historical societies’ take a tour or can play here . The court fees are modest and we encourage juniors.
Real Tennis is one of the few sports where handicaps are used extensively and players of all abilities can participate equally with each other. In fact, in handicap tournaments it is the better players (or lower handicaps) who are under the most pressure.
If you would like to come and try the game you will be made very welcome. Club racquets are available for beginners and introductory lessons will be arranged.
Our members include players of all abilities, both sexes and all ages from the young and fast to the older and less sprightly. New members will have games and opponents organised for them so they will quickly meet other members.
Who should try Real Tennis
- Retired squash players find the game less strenuous, but equally satisfying and enjoy the tactical nature of matches.
- Cricketers and golfers should play in the winter to keep their eye in.
- Anyone with a desire to play a game competitively or for fun.
- Students – Newcastle, Northumbria & Durham Universities play regularly.
- Children over the age of 8 should be strong enough to hit a heavy ball with a heavy racquet.